« Back to Full Tour
Think you know all the townships and boroughs in Lebanon County?
Take the land expansion tour and see how the county has grown throughout the years.
Trivia: What city in Lebanon County was originally a small town called Steitztown?
This tour focuses on the development of Lebanon County.
Discover the ways this once rural community developed throughout the years.
Trivia: What was the name of the first fire company in Lebanon?
This tour will take you on an adventure focused on the military history of Lebanon County.
You will learn about people, places, and things, which impacted this county due to war.
Learn the story behind how this Bible and pocket watch saved a man's life during the civil war.
Politics have always been entwined in the history of Lebanon County.
Uncover facts about the county's government and learn which president practiced law in the Stoy Museum!
Trivia: Which president visited the Coleman family in Lebanon County and was served from this tea kettle?
This tour will highlight interesting facts about life throughout the county.
What does a vaudeville dress, a bicycle, and a stained glass window have to do with Lebonon County? Find
out by taking this tour.
This medical exam card belonged to a baseball player who joined the Bethlehem Steel team. Hint: He was one of the most famous baseball players of all time!
This Samovar (Russian Tea Kettle) is made of copper and brass and has a cylinder in the center to hold hot coals to keep the tea at serving temperature. It is believed that General George Washington was served from this Samovar when he was a guest for two days of Robert Coleman at the Elizabeth Mansion. Washington was considering seeking a second term as President and sought advice from Coleman, who of course was supportive of the President’s intentions.
The building at 924 Cumberland Street was first built circa 1773 by Reverend Wilhelm Henry Stoy, M.D. It originally served as the county's first courthouse (1813-1818) where President James Buchannan served as prosecutor for the Commonwealth and as a defense attorney, and Governor John Andrew Schulz served as first Clerk of Courts and Prothonotary. The Court room remained in the Snavely home until the spring of 1818. The building has served various purposes throughout the years, and now houses the Lebanon County Historical Society. It has been the home of the Society since 1976.
Henry William Embich, a carpenter and woodworker, made this model of the Lebanon County Court House, the building itself was built in 1818, after losing his hand in an accident at the Fox and Graeff lumber plant. He created this model as an exact replica, hand-carving and fitting the pieces without any assistance.
This trunk belonged to Governor John Andrew Schultz, the only PA Governor from Lebanon County.
On top of the Lebanon County Courthouse once located at 8th and Cumberland Streets (1819-1965), stood the Goddess of Liberty. The original Goddess arrived in 1817, after Henry Shuey, Esquire transported her from Philadelphia, Pa. He was paid $24 for his services. In 1876, Liberty was replaced with a replica carved by Ferdinand Duroe, a young carver working at the Lebanon firm of Reinohl and Meily. This Liberty was about 8 feet high, and carried a set of scales in one hand and a sword in the other. On November 18, 1908, there was a serious fire at the courthouse which sent Liberty falling into the second floor courtroom. Today, only her bust and sword remain.
This cup was sent to the Lions Club, along with a letter addressed William J. Noll. Noll was instrumental in having the name of the community changed from Bismarck to Quentin in honor of Roosevelt’s son Quentin, who was killed during WWI. For many years the cup was lost. It was later found in the attic of the Fire Hall while it was being cleaned.
This letter was written in 1918 by Theodore Roosevelt to William J. Noll to thank the “people of Quentin,” for renaming their town (previously Bismarck). The town was renamed to honor Roosevelt’s deceased son, and due to the prevailing anti-German sentiment of that era.