« Back to Full Tour
Think you know all the townships and boroughs in Lebanon County?
Take the land expansion tour and see how the county has grown throughout the years.
Trivia: What city in Lebanon County was originally a small town called Steitztown?
This tour focuses on the development of Lebanon County.
Discover the ways this once rural community developed throughout the years.
Trivia: What was the name of the first fire company in Lebanon?
This tour will take you on an adventure focused on the military history of Lebanon County.
You will learn about people, places, and things, which impacted this county due to war.
Learn the story behind how this Bible and pocket watch saved a man's life during the civil war.
Politics have always been entwined in the history of Lebaon County.
Uncover facts about the county's government and learn which president practiced law in the Stoy Museum!
Trivia: Which president visited the Coleman family in Lebanon County and was served from this tea kettle?
This tour will highlight interesting facts about life throughout the county.
What does a vaudeville dress, a bicycle, and a stained glass window have to do with Lebonon County? Find
out by taking this tour.
This medical exam card belonged to a baseball player who joined the Bethlehem Steel team. Hint: He was one of the most famous baseball players of all time!
The Cornwall Furnace was created by Peter Grubb in 1742. It was from the operations of this furnace that the iron industry of the Lebanon Valley developed and was continued for a long period of time. One of the main recipients of the pig iron was the Hopewell Forge on Hammer Creek. By 1790 the Cornwall furnace gradually came under the control of Robert Coleman who obtained full ownership by 1803. The Cornwall furnace ceased operations in 1883. The Cornwall Ore Banks (which supplied the raw material, iron for the furnaces, forges, and later, the steel industries, until Hurricane Agnes in 1972) provided iron for every war in which the U.S. was engaged through Korea.
This green pumper from the Cedar Fire Co., the first fire company in Lebanon, is the third oldest existing piece of the fire equipment in PA. It was filled by hand with buckets of water from any available source, however, the Quittapahilla Creek was the main source in the City. There is a strainer at each end to keep debris out of the mechanism. The nozzle on top could be adjusted side to side but went no higher. The Cedar Company became inactive when all the men went to fight in the Revolutionary war.
Mr. Jacob Schnee published the first German language newspaper in Lebanon called the Der Freimuthige Libanoner (The Free Lebanoner) first issued on January 1, 1807. This issue of the Libanoner contains several advertisements of sales or real and personal property. Mr. Schnee also published books and other papers, and later migrated to New Harmony, Indiana. The paper was later sold to Jacob Stoever, and he changed the name to Der Libanoner Morgenstern (Lebanon Morning Star).
John Andrew Schulz, from Myerstown, swore himself into all county offices at once coinciding with the official formation of Lebanon County. Lebanon County formed out of Dauphin County in 1813.
These carpenter’s tools belonged to William Lehman who was the first resident superintendent of the Union Canal when it opened in 1828. The existing Canal Tunnel is the oldest existing transportation tunnel in the United States. The Union Canal once linked the commercial centers of Harrisburg and Reading and, by extension, the port of Philadelphia.
This company was in business from 1873 – 1922. The factory, which was located along the Union Canal, shipped organs on the Canal to Reading then Philadelphia and from there worldwide. This particular organ is believed to have been made for the Coleman family, before being relocated to the Oakview Nursing Home in Lebanon (now closed) before making its way to the Society. The pipes are made of wood and are purely decorative.
Railroads have been travelling across Lebanon in an east/west direction since 1858. Although Lebanon no longer has railroad passenger service (It ended on June 30, 1963), there are 60 or more freight trains operated by the Norfolk Southern Railroad that pass through Lebanon each day. This button was donated by the City of Lebanon as a keepsake of the 9th St. Bridge opening. The 10th St. Bridge is scheduled to be completed in late 2013.